Part of my family is heading to Disney World in a couple weeks. Because I’m in the group going, I can’t seem to stay away from the Disney stuff. That means I’ve been avidly reading the Disney Food Blog. Disney and food are two of my favorite things.
The other day, I ran across this review of a new sandwich found in Animal Kingdom. I knew I had to try to create this! Of course, I have no idea what it tastes like, other than the way it is described in the post. Maybe I’ll get to sample the real deal while I’m there, so I can compare my version and Disney’s.
However, I have to say that the review was a great inspiration. My version turned out full of flavor and tender. My family loved it too. And the fact that it uses the slow cooker is a bonus. There’s just enough spice to make it interesting and give the meat a lot of flavor, yet it’s not burn-your-tongue hot.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these sandwiches:
– 2-3 lb. chuck roast
– 3-5 cloves garlic 1 whole and peeled, others crushed
– 1 tsp. cumin
– 1/2 tsp. ground red pepper cayenne
– 1/4 tsp. allspice
– 1 onion diced
– 1 jalepeno seeds removed and diced
– 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
For the sauce
– 10 oz Greek yogurt
– 1 large cucumber peeled and diced
– 1/2 tsp. dried mint
– Pita bread
1. Cut one garlic clove in half and rub roast all over with it.
2. Place roast and whole garlic clove in slow cooker.
3. Add remaining ingredients (except for sauce) to the slow cooker, sprinkling spices directly on meat.
4. Cover and cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
5. Remove meat from crock and shred with a fork.
6. Return meat to the crock and stir to combine with juices from cooking the meat.
7. Stir yogurt, cucumber and mint together.
8. Serve meat in pita bread with yogurt sauce.
Culled by: Vivieanne Danielle